Don has served on the LPS Board of Education since 2001. He has served as board president four times, including leading the successful bond election in 2014, and leading the superintendent search that resulted in hiring Dr. Joel.
Don has chaired every major board subcommittee multiple times. He has served as a director in the Nebraska Association of School Boards and currently serves on the Safe and Successful Kids Interlocal joint board with the City Council.
On Don’s watch, Lincoln Public Schools has:
- Passed three bond elections, without raising the property tax levy rate
- Implemented district-wide all day kindergarten
- Built 12 new schools, including the Career Academy
- Implemented comprehensive digital curriculum and put devices in the hands of all of our students
- Recorded the highest ever graduation rates
- Lowered the property tax levy rate to the lowest it’s been in 50 years.
During Don’s tenure, the district has:
- Dealt with record breaking student growth
- Created sensible budgets despite cuts in state aid
- Rebuilt after the district office was destroyed by fire
- Weathered the COVID pandemic